April 2020 Newsletter
Published: Apr 13, 2020
In this bi-monthly newsletter, we share recent, current, and planned activities of the US-RSE Association. Newsletters are also available on our website alongside the growing resources and information on the US-RSE Association. A sign-up option for our newsletter is available here.
In this issue:
- US-RSE Virtual Workshop April 22-23
- US-RSE Association Workshop at Princeton moving to October
- Workshops at PEARC20 and SC20
- Recent Job Postings
- Interesting Reads
- Get Involved
US-RSE Virtual Workshop
We are excited to announce that the US-RSE association will host a virtual workshop on April 22 and 23! This workshop will be held in three online sessions:
- The RSE Landscape - Reports on RSE groups and activities, with discussion (Wednesday 4/22, 12:00-1:30 PM EDT)
- Technical talks - Short talks about projects that RSEs are working on (Wednesday 4/22, 3:00-4:30 PM EDT)
- Next steps for the US-RSE organization - Breakout sessions to discuss ideas. What do you want from US-RSE? (Thursday 4/23, 12:00-1:30 PM EDT)
A detailed agenda is in the works and will be posted online when ready.
The workshop is free, but we ask that all participants preregister so that we know how many to expect and can prepare appropriately. The registration form is here.
The sessions will be held using Zoom. Connection information will be sent to registered participants before the workshop. (We’ve seen the recent news about Zoom security issues, and we will be taking appropriate security precautions.)
If you have questions or would like to contribute a talk to one of the sessions, please contact email@example.com or reach out via slack.
US-RSE Association Workshop at Princeton is moving to October
The in-person US-RSE Community Building Workshop has been officially rescheduled for October 27-28, 2020. It will be held at the same venue, the Nassau Inn in Princeton, NJ.
This is a rapidly changing situation and it is impossible to predict what the travel/conference landscape will look like in October. Should COVID-19 continue to prevent us from having the workshop in October, we may need to reschedule for sometime in the following 12 months. Though we certainly hope it doesn’t come to that.
Follow the US-RSE Events Page to stay up to date.
Workshops at PEARC20 and SC20
We are thrilled to announce that in addition to the PEARC20 workshop, we will have a workshop at SC20! The PEARC20 workshop will be a Research Software Engineers Community Workshop, and the SC20 workshop will be “Research Software Engineers in HPC: Creating Community, Building Careers, Addressing Challenges (RSE-HPC-2020).” Stay tuned for more information about the workshops and the overall status of these conferences.
Recent Job Postings
These opportunities were recently posted to the RSE Careers page:
- Architect, PACE team at Georgia Institute of Technology; Atlanta, GA
- Scheduler Architect, PACE team at Georgia Institute of Technology; Atlanta, GA
- Staff Scientist/Software Engineer at New Mexico Tech; Socorro, NM
- Senior Research Software Engineer (Data Engineer); Cambridge, MA
- Data Scholars; NIH, Bethesda and Rockville, MD, or Research Triangle Park, NC
Items you may have missed on the blog and Slack:
- “The Four Pillars of Research Software Engineering,” IEEE Software, J. Cohen, et al. (preprint)
- “Towards FAIR principles for research software,” Data Science, Anna-Lena Lamprecht, et al.
URSSI/BSSw blog post: R. Gassmoeller, “Scientific Software Projects and Their Communities”
There are lots of ways to get involved with the US-RSE community. Of course, you can join us on Slack or volunteer for an interview with the RSE Stories podcast. But we’re also looking for ideas and help in many other places. See the most updated version of the Get Involved idea list to find opportunities with the Website Committee, Social Media, Community Engagement, and more.