US-RSE Steering Committee Elections
The 2021 US-RSE Steering Committee elections are happening this December.
- Membership verification email sent: by October 15, 2021
- Nominations open: October 22, 2021
- Nominations due: November 5, 2021
- Candidates finalize information: November 8, 2021
- Candidates announced: by November 12, 2021
- Annual US-RSE General Meeting, including candidate statements: December 3, 2021, 1-3pm ET
- Voting Open: December 3-10, 2021
- Election Results announced: by December 17, 2021
- Elected Steering Committee members take office: January 1, 2022
Positions and Eligibility
Five Steering Committee seats are open in this election, each for a 2-year term (January 1, 2022 through December 31, 2023). The following steering committee members have terms that end this year: Jeff Carver, Ian Cosden, Charles Ferenbaugh, Sandra Gesing, and Christina Maimone. All US-RSE members in good standing as of the day nominations open are eligible for nomination.
A membership verification email will be sent to all members in October. The message will be sent directly from firstname.lastname@example.org, not through the Google group used for most email communications. Individuals who do not receive the membership verification email may join the organization by filling out the membership form at https://us-rse.org/join/. For questions or help with membership matters, please contact Election Chairs Julia Damerow and Lance Parsons on Slack or via email.
The US-RSE Steering Committee sets its own meeting frequency and timing. Currently, the Steering Committee meets every two weeks. The Steering Committee meeting frequency and schedule for 2022 will be determined once new members are elected.
The responsibilities of Steering Committee members are detailed in the US-RSE Membership and Governance document. They include:
- Setting the overall policy and direction of the US-RSE Association
- Being responsible for day-to-day activities, operations, and development of the US-RSE Association
Additionally, Steering Committee members are expected to:
- Attend and participate in Steering Committee meetings
- Follow and participate in Steering Committee discussions on Slack
- Contribute to US-RSE operations through activities such as
- Updating the website
- Writing newsletters and communications
- Organizing and leading community calls and events
- Engaging with community members on Slack
- Help further the community by
- Participating on international RSE committees
- Organizing BOFs, workshops, meetups, and other events at relevant conferences
- Leading US-RSE working groups
- Writing blog posts
- Bringing new ideas to the organization
Nominations and Candidate Information
Individuals may nominate themselves or another member. In cases when a nomination is not a self-nomination, the Election Chairs will contact the nominated individual to confirm their interest in participating.
On the nomination form, which will be available once nominations open, the following information is required:
If Nominating Someone Else:
- Your name and email
- Nominee’s name and email
- Short statement about why you think the nominated individual will make a good Steering Committee member
Nominations of others will only be shared with the Election Chairs and the nominated individual. The information will not be made public.
Self-nomination or Accepted Nomination:
- Your name and a publicly-shareable email
- A link to a resume, CV, LinkedIn profile, or professional website
- Why do you want to be on the US-RSE Steering Committee? (<=1000 characters)
- How do you contribute to the US-RSE Association or RSE community more broadly? (<= 1500 characters)
All candidate information will be shared on the US-RSE website. Additionally, candidates will have the opportunity to share a short recorded statement during the US-RSE General meeting in December.
An #election channel is available on Slack for any discussion with or about candidates.
Information about the voting process will be made available soon.
Contact Election Chairs Julia Damerow and Lance Parsons on Slack or via email