Research Software Engineers Community Workshop
Join us at PEARC20 for a workshop focused on Research Software Engineers.
The Research Software Engineers Community Workshop will be July 31st, starting at 8 am PDT (Portland, OR time). It is open to all PEARC20 registrants.
The full PEARC20 conference runs July 26-31 and is virtual this year. Information about the conference is available on the PEARC20 conference website. PEARC20 Registration will be required for all workshop participants (register by July 24, 2020).
The workshop will provide an opportunity for research software engineers to connect and share their work. There will be presentations from RSEs about their software, research, projects, and groups, and about the development of the RSE community. There will also be discussion of challenges facing RSEs and what the community can do to help meet those challenges.
To participate in the workshop, register for PEARC20 and then join our workshop session on Friday, July 31st.
Each block of talks will be followed by time for discussion and questions.
All times Pacific Daylight Time.
8:00AM Welcome - Moderator: Ian Cosden
8:35AM Developing the Research Software Community - Moderator: Ian Cosden
- Sandra Gesing, How to reach a cultural change in academia for research software sustainability?
- Vanessa Sochat, Ian Cosden, Nicholas May and Carlos Martinez-Ortiz, The Research Software Encyclopedia
- Daniel S. Katz, Michelle Barker, Neil Chue Hong, Leyla Jael Garcia Castro, Morane Gruenpeter, Jennifer Harrow, Mateusz Kuzak, Paula Martinez Villegas and Fotis E. Psomopoulos, Toward defining and implementing FAIR for research software
- Dirk Colbry, Training Graduate Students Across Disciplines: Tools and Techniques for Developing Scientific Software
10:30AM Applications - Moderator: Daniel S. Katz
- Jeremy Thompson, Natalie Beams, Jed Brown, and Yohann Dudouit, libCEED: A Case Study in Hidden Benefits of the Bridge Pattern
- Christina Maimone, Supporting Social Science Research with Custom Databases and Web Applications
11:05AM RSE Group Models - Moderator: Christina Maimone
- Ian Cosden, The Princeton University Research Software Engineering Group Model
- Charles Ferenbaugh, Research Software Engineering in a National Lab Context
- Kenton McHenry, Daniel S. Katz, Caleb Reinking, Robert Haines, Research Software Development & Management in Universities: Case Studies from Manchester’s RSDS Group, Illinois’ NCSA, and Notre Dame’s CRC
Workshop Organizing Committee
- Ian Cosden, Director, Research Software Engineering for Computational and Data Science, Princeton University
- Charles Ferenbaugh, Computer Scientist/Research Software Engineer, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Chris Hill, Principal Research Engineer, MIT
- Daniel S. Katz, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Christina Maimone, Research Data Services Lead, Northwestern IT Research Computing Services
- Kenton McHenry, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Kaspar Mueller, Research Software Manager, Clean Energy Modeling - Intellectual Ventures