US-RSE Executive Director (Part-Time)
Posted: July 18, 2023
US-RSE is hiring an Executive Director!
Up to this point in its history, the US-RSE Association has been organized and run solely by volunteers, primarily members of the steering committee. As it has now reached a point where the membership is growing and the community needs are growing, we are hiring an Executive Director to continue moving the Association forward. By having an Executive Director, it will allow the Association to more effectively pursue the goals of building a vibrant RSE community in the US.
The Executive Director reports to the US-RSE Steering Committee Chair and works with the Steering Committee, working group chairs, and other volunteer organizational leaders to oversee the execution of the mission of the US-RSE Association, advocate for the Association and the needs of its members, and ensure the long-term financial sustainability of the Association.
This is a part-time position, up to 50% effort. We plan for this position to grow into a full-time, or nearly full-time position with additional responsibilities. The long-term vision of the Executive Director is to run day-to-day operations of the US-RSE organization with only general oversight from the elected steering committee.
We expect this position to evolve over time. Initial responsibilities will include:
- Financial Sustainability
- Lead work towards financial sustainability, in collaboration with the Steering Committee and the Treasurer
- Lead efforts to obtain funding from external sources including grants (public and private), sponsorships, membership fees, conference revenue, and other sources that may be identified in the future.
- External Visibility
- Lead and/or commission policy statements and position papers on topics of importance to the Association
- Supervision of Staff
- Provide day-to-day management and oversight of US-RSE staff. Currently this consists of a yet-to-be-filled, full-time, Community Manager.
- Knowledge of the research software development process, software development terminology, and research workflow
- Experience in working with funding agencies to obtain funding
- Strong knowledge of the US-RSE Association and its current operations
- Evidence of leadership within organizations (preferably within the US-RSE Association)
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English in writing and in spoken presentations
- Experience leading/managing teams or groups of people
- Conducting research and/or contributing to research projects
- Advocating for research and/or people to external constituents
US-RSE values a diverse and inclusive community consistent with our DEI mission. We actively foster a supportive team environment that permits diverse backgrounds to thrive including those looking to make a career change and those with a non-traditional career track, educational path, or life experiences. If this environment sounds like a strong match or even an exciting challenge, we encourage you to apply and use your cover letter to explain why you would be a good fit for the role.
This is a part-time (up to 50%) remote position. The salary range (at 0.5 FTE) is $80,000 - $100,000 depending on experience and applicable skills.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
US-RSE is a fiscally sponsored project of Community Initiatives.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Community Initiatives is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, disability or protected veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.