US-RSE March 2022 Newsletter
Published: Mar 31, 2022
In this monthly newsletter, we share recent, current, and planned activities of the US-RSE Association, and related news that we think is of interest to US-RSE members. Newsletters are also available on our website alongside the growing resources and information on the US-RSE Association. To receive our newsletter, join US-RSE here.
In this issue:
- US-RSE Community Calls
- Community News
- RSE Stories Podcast
- DEI Media Club Discussion
- Interesting Events
- Interesting Reads
- US-RSE Education and Training working group
- US-RSE Outreach
- US-RSE New Activities
- US-RSE Financials
- Get Involved
- Recent Job Postings
US-RSE Community Calls
The April community call will be on April 14, 2022 at 12 ET. Our plan for April is a slightly different format. Following the request in https://github.com/USRSE/monthly-community-calls/issues/12 we are looking for people interested in giving a short talk on a new technology or tool you would be interested to tell others about. This could be something from your own project or some new technology you are learning from elsewhere. Depending on interest these might be lightning 5 minute talks or longer talks with time for discussion! If you are interested reach out to either Julia Damerow or Chris Hill or ping us on the Community Call slack channel.
You can find the recordings of our monthly calls here. We are also discussing finding a new time for the community call to make the time work better for our members in Hawaii and Alaska. Stay tuned!
Interested in suggesting a topic or leading a community call? We meet two weeks prior to each community call to decide on a topic and discuss how to structure the call. Anyone is welcome to join the preparation call on Zoom.
- The Research Software Engineers in HPC Workshop (RSE-HPC-2022) was accepted by SC22. More information will follow soon!
Participants Needed for Mentorship Study A team of software engineering researchers from Eindhoven University of Technology and Sandia National Laboratories are requesting participants to complete a short survey for their study on the role of mentorship for personal and professional development in software developers. You can access the survey here!
Bennett Wineholt is Seeking Public Climate Change AI Applications Ready to Scale Over the next few months he will be developing public workshop materials with the Cornell CAC for GPU cluster usage on large US NSF XSEDE resources. They would like to survey impactful climate application users to make sure their needs will be covered. He would appreciate any leads on research contacts for sample applications that are ready to run and can expect to highly utilize around 8-200 Nvidia V100 GPUs. Please see this link for further details, they look forward to helping scale up climate impact!
- The Code Review Working Group of DHTech is starting the alpha phase of implementing a code review process for the digital humanities. For the initial round of reviews, we are looking for people willing to submit code for review and people willing to review someone else’s code. If you are willing to participate, we will also ask you to complete a feedback questionnaire at the end to help us improve the process. If you would like to have your code reviewed, please fill out the code review request form. Your code should be available on GitHub. It should take less than an hour to review. For more information about the conditions your code should meet, please review our review preparation instructions. If you are interested in being a reviewer, please fill out the reviewer application form. We expect reviews to take no more than an hour to complete. If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with us either by joining the #code-review-wg channel on the DHTech Slack or by emailing Julia Damerow (firstname.lastname@example.org).
RSE Stories Podcast
The Research Software Engineer Stories podcast has two new episodes posted. Check them out below!
RSE Stories is looking for a new co-host and other volunteers to help with production. You don’t need to commit to anything: start with one episode and go from there. Interested? Reach out to Vanessa via Slack.
- Peter Schmidt: The Podcast Experiment
- Peter Vaillancourt: I’m invisible, but I can see the differences
DEI Media Club
Want to know more or get involved with the DEI working group? Visit our webpage for more details!
Some other events coming up may be of interest to RSEs:
- MiniGateways 2022 takes place from April 5-7, 2022. It has an exciting program with tutorials, lightning talks and Open Forum. Registration is free but required.
Items you may have missed on the blog and Slack:
- Jeffrey M. Perkel: How to fix your scientific coding errors
- Elliot Hershberg: How Software in the Life Sciences Actually Works (And Doesn’t Work)
- How to write better scientific code in Python
- Catherine Hicks: It’s like coding in the dark
- Daniel S. Katz and Tom Honeyman: Software is a process, not a series of products: the failure of traditional metrics
US-RSE Education and Training Working Group
The US-RSE E&T Working Group is planning to offer a series of 2-3 hour hands-on training activities. We are looking for input on which topics are of most interest to the community. Please take just a minute or two to indicate your interest in a short list of topics in this survey.
Upcoming Outreach opportunities with US-RSE:
- We plan to submit a proposal for a Birds of a Feather session at SciPy 2022 about US-RSE. It will be a moderated panel discussion. If you are interested in representing US-RSE on the panel, please fill out this form. Note that the SciPy organizing committee has added options to participate virtually, so please consider joining and adding your voice to the BoF even if you are not attending the conference in person!
- PEARC Panel - Topic idea: RSE Community
Do you have an outreach idea (community, university, event, conference, etc.)? Send an email to email@example.com or post in the #outreach channel and tag @or-wg! For more information, visit the Outreach WG webpage.
Two new groups forming
We are looking for volunteers to lead planning for a potential US-RSE 2023 conference. We will be posting on Slack too, but if you are interested, please reach out to any or all of Sandra Gesing, Chris Hill, and Dan Katz. The format and scope for the conference are all open, so if you have ideas and thoughts it would be great to have you involved.
We are starting a new financial sustainability working group. The goal of this group will be to examine and develop a range of ideas to move US-RSE to a stable financial model. Please feel free to reach out to Chris Hill if you are interested in participating in this working group. The group will meet at least monthly and will look at everything from sponsorship, individual and institutional membership models, more logo items, philanthropic partners and beyond!
See how we are doing financially
We organize US-RSE financials transparently via the Open Collective project. You can see all budgets, expenses, and contributions on this site. Anyone can go to the site and see the current accounts, income and expenses and ….. (if the mood takes you and you are able) make a tax-deductible gift to US-RSE!
There are lots of ways to get involved with the US-RSE community. Of course, you can join us on Slack or volunteer for an interview with the RSE Stories podcast. But we’re also looking for ideas and help in many other places. See our list of projects and let us know how you’d like to help. Help with things like the Website Committee, Social Media, Community Engagement, Fundraising and Newsletter are all needed and welcome.
As always we thank everyone who is already contributing for their help in shaping and growing the organization. In 2021 we added nearly 300 new members. There are still many more RSEs and friends of RSEs we would like to help connect and support. If you are interested in helping in any way please feel free to join in.
Recent Job Postings
These opportunities were recently posted to the RSE Careers page:
- Scientific Software Engineering Center Engineering Lead: University of Washington, Seattle, WA Posted: Mar 22, 2022
- HPC Applications Engineer: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA Posted: Mar 31, 2022
- Research Software Engineer: Initiative for Data-Driven Social Science, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ Posted: Mar 22, 2022
- Software/Computer Graphics Engineer: Electrophysiology, Memory, and Navigation Laboratory, Columbia University, New York City, New York Posted: Mar 21, 2022
- Computational Scientist: Advanced Light Source, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, Berkeley, CA Posted: Mar 21, 2022
- Research Software Engineer: START (National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism), University of Maryland, College Park, MD (some telework available) Posted: Mar 16, 2022
- Associate Bioinformatician: Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, New York Posted: Mar 16, 2022
- Research Software Engineer / Senior Research Software Engineer: Brown University Center for Computation & Visualization, Providence, RI Posted: Mar 14, 2022
- Software Developer, Massive Data Institute: Georgetown University, Washington, DC / Hybrid 3 Days Posted: Mar 14, 2022
- Bioinformatician in Pathogen Genomics: EcoHealth Alliance, New York City, NY Posted: Mar 12, 2022
- Research Engineer I - Scitech Group: Information Sciences Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA (Candidate is expected to live in Greater Los Angeles area. Flexibility in terms of what days to be at ISI in person.) Posted: Mar 11, 2022
- Machine Learning HPC Specialist: Tufts University, Tufts Technology Services, onsite/remote/flexible Posted: Mar 08, 2022
- Research Software Engineer: Princeton University, Princeton, NJ Posted: Mar 08, 2022
- Software Developer / Scientist: Million Concepts, remote / flexible (US only) Posted: Mar 02, 2022
- Research Software Engineer: NumFOCUS/Matplotlib, Remote Posted: Feb 18, 2022
- Software Engineer: The Coordinated Science Laboratory, Grainger College of Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois Posted: Feb 18, 2022
- Senior Research Software Engineer: Center for Digital Humanities, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ Posted: Feb 17, 2022
- Senior Bioinformatics Scientist: Tufts Technology Services, Tufts University, Remote/Flexible Posted: Feb 17, 2022
- Software Engineer: Sylabs, Inc., Remote Posted: Feb 14, 2022
- APEX Developer: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA Posted: Feb 14, 2022
- Senior Java Developer: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA Posted: Feb 14, 2022
- Cyber Security Reverse Engineering: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA Posted: Feb 14, 2022
- Snr/Principal HPC Developer Advocate: Amazon Web Services, Boston, MA (or virtual in US) Posted: Feb 11, 2022
- Senior Research Software Engineer: Princeton University, Princeton, NJ Posted: Feb 11, 2022
- Research Software Engineer: Princeton University, Princeton, NJ Posted: Feb 09, 2022
- Data Scientist / Senior Data Scientist: Brown University, Providence, RI Posted: Feb 09, 2022
- Research Software Engineer: Center for Computation and Visualization, Brown University, Providence, RI Posted: Feb 07, 2022
- Manager, Research Software Engineering: Princeton University, Princeton, NJ Posted: Feb 07, 2022
- Postdoc/Research Software Engineer: University of Delaware, Newark, DE Posted: Feb 07, 2022
- Senior API Engineer: Colabra, Remote Posted: Feb 05, 2022
- Associate Research Software Engineer: Brown University, Providence, RI Posted: Feb 04, 2022
- Software Development Engineer/Scientist: GenNext Technologies Inc., Half Moon Bay, CA Posted: Feb 02, 2022
- Research Software Engineer / Project Scientist: Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics, UC Davis, Davis, CA Posted: Feb 01, 2022
- Space Physics Application Developer: JHU Applied Physics Lab, Laurel, MD Posted: Feb 01, 2022
- Software Developer: New York Structural Biology Center, New York, NY (Hybrid/Remote/Flexible) Posted: Jan 25, 2022
- Assistant Research Programmer/Research Programmer/Senior Research Programmer: National Center for Supercomputing Applications, Urbana, IL Posted: Jan 25, 2022
- Research Programmer / Analyst: Carnegie Mellon University, School of Computer Science, Pittsburgh, PA (Hybrid/Remote) Posted: Jan 14, 2022
- Developer in Residence: Carnegie Mellon University, School of Computer Science, Pittsburgh, PA (Hybrid/Remote) Posted: Jan 14, 2022
- Researcher II - Software Developer for Transportation Data and Modeling Tools: National Renewable Energy Laboratory (Remote) Posted: Jan 05, 2022
- Scientific Programmer and Educator: University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ Posted: Jan 05, 2022
- HPC Gateway Engineer: Tufts University (Remote) Posted: Dec 17, 2021
- Research Programmer / Analyst: Pittsburgh, PA (Hybrid/Remote) Posted: Dec 10, 2021
- Applications Developer, User Interface: Caltech, Pasadena, CA Posted: Nov 16, 2021
- Assistant Director, Penn State’s Applications of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning to Industry (AIMI) Center - Institute for Computational and Data Sciences (ICDS): State College, Pennsylvania Posted: Nov 10, 2021
- ICDS Technical Director - Institute for Computational and Data Sciences (ICDS): State College, Pennsylvania Posted: Nov 09, 2021
Other Job Boards
The following boards might also be of interest.
- Software Carpentries Job Opportunities
- Academic Data Science Alliance Jobs
- Society of Research Software Engineering Vacancies
Have an RSE-related job posting?
This newsletter is a joint effort of members of the US-RSE Association.